Saturday, January 13, 2018

Letter from Bill to Bill, 1998

My father made a short list of cook book publishers, which he presumably meant to approach with his cook book, though there is no evidence that he ever wrote to any of them.

He did, however, write a pitch letter to himself (as publisher of his own imprint, midKnight Books).

I post that letter below. It outlines his plan for his project.  - Michael Bryson, January 2018

*

December 3, 1998
   
William H. Bryson, B Tech.    
Publisher
midKnight Publishers
midKnight Manor
11 Knight Street
Toronto, Ontario
M4C 3K8

Dear Mr. Bryson:

I am writing to you to offer a cookbook for your consideration. 

My working title for this book is SOUP THERAPY – Recipes for the Retired Gentleman, which defines my target audience. I have been retired for three years, and have spent a considerable amount of time enjoying myself in the kitchen. I feel that there are many men who would also enjoy working in the kitchen if they knew how to cook.

The primary purpose of the book is to teach the pleasure of messing about in the kitchen and, coincidently, producing enjoyable food. In order to accomplish this objective I have included an introduction to kitchen paraphernalia, as well as instruction in basic cooking techniques.

I began working in the kitchen as a young lad helping my mother with the weekends baking. I have always enjoyed cooking, and founded it a release from the stresses of the work-a-day world.  Since many of the men in the age that I am targeting would consider working in the kitchen “women’s work” they are likely to be more open to except instruction from a man of their generation than from their wives or their daughters. 

I foresee development of the series of books, with increasingly complex recipes, as well as specialized headings, such a his cooking with grandchildren, cooking for Christmas, and healthy food cooking, all under the heading of Recipes For Retired Gentleman.

The book will be made up of the number of chapters, as follows: an introduction to the idea of learning to cook; a major chapter on soup (thus the title) because that is an easy way to start cooking; a number of chapters on snacks, main courses, and desserts, etc. There will be two appendixes, one on food terminology and implements; and one on weights and measures. The book would conclude with a comprehensive index.

I am submitting to sample of my work so that you can understand the type of book I am writing.

I look forward to the favour of your reply.

     Yours very truly,

No comments:

Post a Comment