Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Recipe #1: Butter Tarts

Maybe you know that Ontario has a Butter Tart Festival? Maybe you are also familiar with the term "intangible heritage" and associate it with butter tarts, like the Ontario Heritage Trust does?

Whatever the case, the first recipe I'm posting here isn't going to be from my father's manuscript of recipes. It's going to be his mother's butter tart recipe, the filling anyway:

1/3 cup of butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1/3 cup currants
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

450 degrees for 8 minutes
350 degrees until done

Presumably, you will know when they are done.

I heard my father tell a story once about how his mother's butter tart were unusual, unlike other butter tarts, because ... they had no butter. But this recipe says otherwise. I think he meant, they sometimes didn't have butter, as in when there wasn't any.

Stories are intangible heritage too.

No comments:

Post a Comment