Saturday, December 16, 2017

A Word from the Author - 72 words actually

You may get the impression that this is a “how to cook” book. I can understand that, since much of the content is about cooking and many of the recipes have “how to” instructions.

However, I assure you, this is not a “how to cook” book. It is a “how to have fun mucking about in the kitchen” book; and there is a world of difference.  Muskrat* thought there was nothing in the world quite like mucking about with boats. I feel the same way about kitchens. And so can you if you let yourself.

I assume someone bought you this book because she thought it would be “good” for you.  Nay!! This book isn’t what’s good for you; it’s the mucking about that’s good for you.  And if you’re lucky, the eating won’t be half bad either.

So go ahead, read on, learn as much or as little as you like. But for crying out loud, get into the kitchen and start mucking. Don’t wait until you’ve read the whole book - I don’t want you reading books; I want you having fun in the kitchen.

So get on with it. Your first soup awaits.

Bill Bryson
April 10, 1999


* From Toad Hall, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment